logo
collage
                 MINING HERITAGE
 
19 June, 2018

SDVT Banner Fund - Left Menu HOME

ABOUT US

SITE GUIDE

HERITAGE

HLF PROJECT 2005

HLF PROJECT 2006

SHOP

DONATIONS

GUESTBOOK

THANKS

CONTACT US

SEAHAM HARBOUR ONLINE








               
Shedding Light on Seaham's Mining Heritage
It would take many books (and many have been written) tp tell the story of Seaham's mining heritage.  
We will outline the story here but there are many details over 150 years and more which you know about.  Please take the opportunity to add those stories to this site for everyone to read and appreciate.

HOW IT BEGAN
Seaham Colliery Seaham's mining heritage stretches back to the year 1845 - the year when the sinking of the first pit, Seaton Colliery, began.  This was also known as the "High Pit" and was owned by the Hetton Coal Company. 
Sinking of the second pit, Seaham Colliery, also known as the "Low Pit", began in April 1849 with the first coals being drawn in March 1852.  Seaham Colliery was owned by the Marquis of Londonderry.  The two colliery shafts were only 150 yards apart.
Wednesday, 16th June 1852 - less than 3 months after the first coals were drawn form the "Low Pit" - saw the first explosion and loss of life in Seaham's mines.  The tragedy happened at the "High Pit" with six men killed and several others injured.
In 1864, the Hetton Coal Company sold the "High Pit to the Marquis of Londonderry and the two pits were joined underground to comply with legislation requiring pits to have two shafts.  This allow the circulation of air through convection currents created by having a fire at the bottom of one shaft.  The circulation of air greatly reduced the danger of explosion from fire damp but other explosions did occur with lives lost.  The worst explosion occurred in 1880 when 164 lives were lost. 
Explosion was not the only hazard in Seaham's pits and lives were lost in all three pits through a whole range of other causes including falls of stone etc.
The explosion of 1852 led to the formation  of the North of England Institute of Mining & Mechanical Engineers and the first informal meeting of the Institute took place in the MIll Inn in Seaham.

dawdon Dawdon Colliery was opened in 1907 after great dificulties with the sinking of the shaft due to "rivers of water" which had to be frozen solid before progress could be made.







vane tempest Vane Tempest colliery was the last of the Seaham pits to be sunk and started production in 1928.

We will add more detail to this story in good time and we will look at why all three Seaham pits had been closed by 1992.








STORIES WE HAVE TO TELL

Stories will be added to this web page through the SDVT Bannerfund Trust but we invite you to send us your contributions about the history of mining in Seaham