This project is part of SDVT Banner Fund’s programme of mining heritage education and banner conservation and is being delivered in partnership with schools and community organisations in Seaham.
Our aim is to target the youngest children in our town first.
They can carry the heritage message forward in time further than anyone else. However, it is hoped, and expected, that through them we will be able to engage parents, family and friends.
The children will take part in a range of activities which are intended to give them a significant insight into their home town’s mining heritage. They will:
- Research the historic events, places and buildings of Seaham.
- Develop “Seaham Heritage Walks for Children of All Ages”.
- Witness the conservation of the Seaham and Dawdon Miners Lodge
- Research the purpose of Miners Banners.
- Participate in the design of children's 'Banners for Today'.
- Parade children's banners at Durham Miners Gala.
- Learn to perform traditional songs and dances
- Learn to play traditional Seaham childrens games
- Learn to grow garden produce using the traditional methods of
- Use produce they have grown to prepare traditional recipes.
- Research, collate and print a booklet of "Traditional Seaham